Posted on May 18, 2016 by Shelby Adelsen, Marketing and Communications Intern
The McNay proudly continues to be an accessible part of the San Antonio community with our events for the entire family. And the good news is, a lot of them are FREE! The McNay hosts weekly, monthly, and special free events that range from toddler arts to exhibition lectures. Here are several of the events that will be offered over the course of the summer:
- FREE Teen Admission: Throughout 2016 and 2017, teens will receive free general and feature exhibition admission due to the generous donation from John L. Santikos Charitable Foundation Fund of the San Antonio Area Foundation. The McNay has partnered with the Say Si Media Arts Program to create a promotional video to help get the word out. Watch it here: www.mcnayart.org/freeteens
- Free Community Day: On Sunday, June 5 from noon-4 p.m. the McNay will be celebrating Dr. William J. Chiego’s 25 years of leadership at the McNay with a fun-filled, Coney Island escape. The day will include an ice cream social, a chalkboard tribute and photo op, a performance of Coney Island: LIVE!, and art activities!
- Free Family Day: Summer Spectacular: On Sunday, July 24 from 1 p.m.-4 p.m. the McNay will host a vintage family escape right in the middle of San Antonio! To complement the exhibition Coney Island: Visions of an American Dreamland, 1861-2008, you will be able to experience the sights and sounds of Coney Island in a carnival atmosphere, with circus performers and art activities. Plus, enjoy free admission to the exhibit!
- McNay Second Thursdays: Enjoy free admission and celebrate contemporary art on June 9th and July 14th from 6 p.m.-9 p.m. Food will be for sale from local food trucks and there will be Second Thursday musical talent with sounds based on the exhibition on view, Coney Island: Visions of an American Dreamland, 1861–2008!
- And much more! Throughout the summer there will be various movies and lectures and activities related to the exhibition on view, each catering to a different aspect of the experience, from lectures on vintage carousels to side show performers! Check out all the events here: http://www.mcnayart.org/events/list